Friday, December 16, 2011

How to setup wifi hotspot for Kindle Fire using a smartphone

Ok so last night I went looking for how to set up a mobile hotspot for the new Kindle Fire using a smartphone.  Many people noticed the Fire does not support peer to peer ad hoc wifi connections that you would customarily find when using apps like Barnacle.  First, let me say Barnacle is a great service for what it does, but I could not find a way to make it set up an infrastructure network.  However, android wifi tether version 2.0.5 does create a mobile hotspot that can be shared to the Kindle Fire.  Below you can find a step by step on how to share your mobile hotspot from your android phone for your new Fire.  If anyone knows of any feeds for how to do this with an iPhone or any other smartphone, feel free to post links in the comments.

1. Root your android device. 
  • Check out XDA for some good step by steps on how to root your android as that is outside the scope of this post.  
  • If you have a Thunderbolt check out this site as it is the one I used to root mine and it will not wipe your data - Root your Thunderbolt without losing data
2. Download Android Wifi Tether - List of Versions
  • If you have the Thunderbolt version 2.0.5 works well.  I assume any Post-Evo HTC phone could probably use that version but I accept no responsibility if it bricks your phone for some reason.
3. Open the app --> Menu --> Settings --> Enable Wifi-Encryption, Change Channel to Auto

4. Hit the back button - Press to Start Tethering

5. Open your Wifi connections on your Fire and you should see your android phone.

Voila!  You now have a Kindle Fire that will work anywhere your phone has a data connection.  In case you aren't already aware this will use your phone's data so beware of that if you have a limited data package with your wireless carrier.  Also, the wireless tethering will go through your battery pretty quickly so make sure you have a strong battery.  Otherwise, have at it!  Thanks for your patience while I typed this up and have a good time streaming those amazon prime videos on the go.

11 comments:

  1. Hi, Thanks for the posting. It doesn't seem to work with version 2.0.7, this version doesn't have the "Auto" for the channel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lenniscata, I'm sorry to hear about that - have you tried 2.0.5 on your device?

    Also, as an update, Verizon has pushed an OTA update that may have caused a few glitches with your phone. You will need to flash a different rom in order to get around the OTA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pleasure Marcie. Feel free to share this with any/all of your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I appreciate reading your suggestions. My problem is that I have an unlimited data plan through sprint....not due for an upgrade till Dec and they will not add another device onto it. I have the KF and am wondering about getting a non contract hot spot where I can pay as I go. Will this be doable? The fire has no usb so it must be wireless. Can you suggest one that I can outright purchase. One that needs no software or any sort of cable or computer connection. And of course a reasonable price. I've looked around and sales people are clueless. Seems like most products are for laptops and tablets and need software and usb ports. Your help is apprediated.
    Thanks
    carolyn
    clalena@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carolyn,
    I haven't really looked in to this but you may want to google "non contract mobile hotspot." I was able to find one from virgin mobile located here: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/mifi-2200.html

    It is probably only 3g speed so streaming will be limited, but it should be suitable for most needs. Hope this helps!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't work. None of the Android Wifi downloads work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you provide a little more info? Like what step doesn't work and what device you are using? I will do my best to make sure you get set up. I've done this with both the thunderbolt and my galaxy nexus without issue

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've seen so many different ways to root the kindle fire, i just want to make sure what way to use for rooting my kindle fire ..i am using 3g of my nokia n97, my mac did recognize the device (nokia) but the kindle fire did not ..so please tell me how to root it right so i can follow your steps on here? thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brian,
    My son usually helps me with my technical issues but he is serving in
    Afghanistan right now so I hope you can help me. I have an unlimited talk, text, pics, and internet on my AT&T android Samsung Mythic and I would like to tether my new Kindle FIRE HD 64GB 4G to my phone. I can use my internet service when I am at home but I plan to fly to Alaska for my son's home coming and would like to use my Kindle during the long layovers. Thank you for your help. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie,
      The easiest way to do this now is to download the app Foxfi from the Google play store to your phone. It will charge you $8 one time as opposed to the carrier's $30/month. Then you simply setup your hot spot inside that app and connect your Kindle to it. I hope this helps and send your son a big thank you from all of us. We appreciate everything he does for our country and we'll keep him in our prayers fora safe return.

      All the best

      Delete